Cycling & Pedestrian Accidents
The Minneapolis-St. Paul community is known for being the most active metropolitan areas in the country for recreational bicycling and biking commuting. With the recent increase in gas prices, many more people have decided to leave their cars at home and bike to work. The benefits are many – saving money on gas, getting more exercise, decreasing commuting time and environmental impact. Unfortunately, increased use of bicyclists has increased the number of car/bike accidents.
Have you lost a loved one due to someone else’s careless or negligent actions? If so, contact our Minneapolis wrongful death attorneys at Howard Sussman today!
Bicycle accidents are increasing
This increase in bicycle accidents has been reported in our local newspapers:
- The Top Ten Most Dangerous Intersections in Minneapolis, City Pages 10/14/08.
- Star Tribune editorial on the need for bike safety. 10/6/08
- Star Tribune – Bike-Related Injuries increase in the Twin Cities. – 10/1/08
- Working toward more life – and less death – on city streets. St. Paul Pioneer Press 10/16/08.
What are the common causes of a bicycle accident?
Clearly, the most dangerous type of bicycle crash is a bike-car collision. Cyclists are completely defenseless traveling on 30 pound bikes when they’re surrounded by 3,000 pound cars and trucks racing by them. Common types of bike-car collisions:
- Cars entering roadway – The driver enters the roadway from a driveway or parking spot and fails to see the biker until it’s too late.
- Cars failing to yield – The driver fails to yield to a cyclist by either running a stop light/sign, or by failing to look both ways before continuing.
- Cars turning – Driver turning left or right directly in front of the cyclist cutting them off.
- Cars passing bikers – Driver doesn’t see cyclist when passing and strikes the cyclist.
What kind of damages can be awarded in a bike accident?
Over the last twenty years, the Law Offices of Howard Sussman have represented numerous clients injured in biking accidents for over 20 years. We have recovered damages for injuries, medical expenses, damaged property (bikes), lost time from work, and other damages. If you or a loved one has been injured in a bike accident with a car, please call Howard Sussman today for a free consultation and case evaluation.
Contact our experienced attorneys today.
Howard Sussman will personally discuss your situation thoroughly and go over the options available to you, as well as work with insurance companies and other parties involved in your case to make sure all your needs are handled quickly and appropriately. You can contact Minneapolis bicycle accident attorney Howard Sussman today at 612-332-4830 or via our online contact form.
Want to know more about Bicycling in Minneapolis? Click here for more information including maps of bike trails all over the Twin Cities area and Minnesota.
The Law Offices of Howard Sussman works for injured clients throughout Minnesota including the following cities:
- St. Paul
- St. Louis Park
- Golden Valley
- Eden Prarie
- Brooklyn Park
- Maple Grove