Car Accident FAQ

Get answers to common car accident questions.

At Howard Sussman, P.A., there is always a knowledgeable car accident attorney available to answer your questions.

For your convenience, we have provided answers to some of our clients’ more frequently asked questions. Keep in mind that every car accident involves unique circumstances, so the answers to the questions below may not apply to your situation. For a free evaluation of your potential car accident claim, give us a call at 612.332.4830.

I was in a minor car accident. Should I see a doctor?

If you feel you have been injured in a car accident, you should see a doctor. What may seem like a minor whiplash injury now may cause serious disability down the road. If your injury was caused by the negligence of the person who hit you, you may be entitled to payment of your medical bills (as well as lost earnings, emotional distress and pain and suffering).

My child is in the hospital recovering from a car accident that occurred in Minneapolis. Who will pay the medical bills?

The answer to that question depends on a number of factors. If she was a passenger in your car and you are insured, and have no-fault coverage, and/or uninsured motorist coverage, which is required for Minnesota automobile owners, your automobile insurance may cover her medical expenses. You may also obtain coverage from the other individual’s insurer. If both drivers of the cars involved in the car accident that injured your daughter were uninsured, you may be able to get her medical expenses covered by the Minnesota Assigned Claims Plan.

I haven’t been able to work since my car accident. Who will reimburse me for my lost wages?

Your own insurer might pay them. You may also be able to recover from the insurer of the car that hit you. They will try to deduct any money you received in vacation or sick time from your employer, or any disability payments you received. You don’t need to give up that compensation; either you or the negligent driver’s insurance company is probably obligated to pay all of your lost wages.

I lost control of my car because of bad road conditions. Am I entitled to compensation for my injuries?

Dangerous roads cause a lot of accidents. The municipality or state agency that was responsible for maintaining and controlling the portion of the road where your car accident occurred may be liable for your personal injuries and the damages to your car.

I was in a car accident in Minneapolis. I’m insured and so is the other driver. Do I need a lawyer, or will the insurance companies take care of me?

Maybe, maybe not. An insurance company is a business, not a charity. Its objective is to dispose of any car accident claim in the most efficient way possible. Making sure that you get the compensation you are entitled to is not its top priority. Hiring an experienced car accident attorney levels the playing field. You may pay an attorney a percentage of your recovery, but it will be worth it. The net value of your compensation will probably be greater and you won’t have to waste your time wrangling with the insurance company for what’s rightfully yours.

I have “no fault” insurance; is that going to effect how much money I can recover for my injuries?

Minnesota is a “no fault” insurance state. “No fault” insurance generally describes any auto insurance system that requires drivers to carry insurance for their own protection. In other words, under no fault laws, your auto insurance company will pay for your damages and the other driver’s damages will be covered by his or her insurer, regardless of who was at fault. Hiring an experienced car accident attorney will increase your chances of recovering the maximum amount of compensation from your own insurer, and possibly other sources.

My car was totalled in a rear-end accident by a hit-and-run driver. Who is going to pay for my car?

Many car accident victims who need car repairs after a hit-and-run accident end up being compensated through their own auto insurer. If you have uninsured motorists coverage you may be in a position to recover as much as you would have from the hit-and-run driver.

The person who hit me was drunk and uninsured. What can I do?

When a car accident is caused by a drunk driver, there is a possibility that a “dram shop” claim can be filed against the bar or liquor store that sold the alcoholic beverages to the drunk driver who caused the car accident. A “dram shop” claim may be particularly helpful when the driver is uninsured or underinsured, and may add significant coverage if you have serious injuries. Learn more about drunk driving accidents.

Don’t Hesitate To Contact Me.

Have a question? Get in touch now!

Call Us:


Call Us:

  Follow Us on Facebook


  • * All indicated fields must be completed.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Location Map:

Accessibility Toolbar

Request an Appointment
Scroll to Top